Saturday, August 18, 2012

Blog Snafus

I notice that the pressure to write brilliantly keeps me from writing at all.  I'm pretty sure that is NOT the point of chronicling your life via blog.  I want this to be a good balance between personal thoughts, noteworthy happenings, pictures, and the everyday details of my life.  And if I just so happen to have a wise or witty moment, that's all the better.  But the point is to write.

I actually had posted a blog on July 29th, but the layout was warped, and after several attempts to make it right, I unfortunately deleted it.  (Sigh)  It was a long one too, dangit!

So it seems after weeks of monotony and little writing inspiration, the last few days have been action-packed enough to write ten blogs.  So...we may have a mini-series on our hands.  

One week ago, we received the sad news that Matt's grandmother, Rose, had passed away.  Vince's mother, the same "Rose" Sienna's middle name comes from.  It was not completely sudden, but her passing was not exactly expected "any day now" either.  That Saturday was just the beginning of a whirlwind of events that only ceased yesterday.  Matt and I quickly realized that if Sienna and I were to fly down for the funeral (which was a given), it made the most sense for us to stay in Florida for the remainder of the baseball season because the Clippers only have six more home games this month.  The results of this conclusion equal packing up our entire Columbus apartment, wrapping up all the loose ends (canceling cable, gym membership, shipping packages out, etc), packing the 4Runner, and of course flying home with the maximum amount of luggage and a baby to boot...alone.  Needless to say, it was an exhausting two days. Mattie was incredibly helpful, which was a blessing because often in these types of scenarios, the "husbands" are not always able to help.

After we both arrived in Tampa, we drove down to Port Charlotte for Rose's wake and mass.  Despite the sad circumstances, it is always nice to see family and have a mini reunion of sorts. The time went fast and before I knew it, Matt was waking at 5:00 am on Friday morning to catch  his flight back to Columbus.

Besides the physically draining aspect of this week, there of course was so much emotional exhaustion, as well.  In baseball, this is the time of year, where players might get called up to the big leagues, so in all of the packing and planning, often that is lingering in the back of your mind, no matter how much you try not to think about it.  Then of course there is the fact that Matt had just lost his grandmother, which is an incredibly emotional time.  She was his last surviving grandparent, and I believe that fact alone made her passing all the more difficult. 

It's been a long, tough week and while Sienna and I get to stay here at home spending time with friends and family, doing projects around our house, and relaxing a bit, Mattie has to re-enter the daily grind of baseball during what I think is the toughest part of the season.  I can't tell you how often I have prayed for him in the last two days and wished that I could take his place, if only for a few days.  However, I don't think the Clippers would find that appropriate (even if I am more athletic than Mattie)!  And so I continue even through blog our ongoing debate about who is more athletic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment